Gynecomastia Surgery (Male Breast Reduction)
What is Gynecomastia Surgery?
Also known as male breast reduction surgery, the primary goal of gynecomastia is to reduce the size of overly large male breasts. There are different reduction methods employed to perform this surgery including liposuction, cutting excess glandular tissue or combination of excision and liposuction. We, at COSMECTO, understand that it is an intricate procedure and should be performed only be experienced and trained cosmetic surgeons. We are associated with several cosmetic surgeons in Delhi who can perform male chest reduction surgery safely ensuring excellent results.
What are the signs and symptoms of gynecomastia?
When it comes to the signs and symptoms of gynecomastia, the first and the foremost indicator is the enlarged breasts. Gynecomastia is the enlargement of the glandular tissue than fatty tissue. Usually, it is in location with regard to the nipple and might have a firm or rubbery feel. Usually, it occurs on both sides however can also be unilateral in some men. The enlargement might be much greater on one side even if it gynecomastia occurs in both sides. Sensitivity and tenderness might also be there, though there is no severe pain in most cases.
The main difference with gynecomastia is distinction from male breast cancer that accounts for nearly one percent of overall cases of patients suffering from breast cancer. Cancer usually happens on one side, and is not necessarily centred around the nipples, feels firm or hard. It can also be related to the dimpling of the skin, nipple discharge, retraction of the nipple, and enlargement of the axillary or underarm lymph nodes.
Advantages of gynecomastia surgery
- The results of the surgery are permanent
- A person who undergoes this surgery feels comfortable and have better chest contours
- A person gains elf-confidence
Candidacy for the male breast reduction procedure
The condition is not consequential to any kind of serious medical problems. As a matter of fact, the cause of this condition is rarely identified or diagnosed. Before you choose to visit a gynecomastia surgery clinic in Delhi, seek advice of your family doctor.
Listed below are a few reasons why you might consider opting for gynecomastia treatment:
- You have skin elasticity. The results of this surgery, to a great extent, depend on the kind of skin elasticity a person has. There should be adequate skin contraction after the removal of excess skin. Your skin might lack necessary elasticity for contraction in case you are more than fifty years of age, have breasts with stretch marks, have sun damage or have undergone knife for bypass surgery.
- You are not happy with the appearance and size of your breasts.
- You have already tried exercise and diet for reducing the breast size.
- You experience discomfort because of overly large size breasts.
- You do not drink alcohol or use steroids and marijuana.
To sum up, a person who is good health, have realistic expectations and positive attitude is the ideal candidate for male chest reduction surgery.
Risks associated with gynecomastia surgery?
Fortunately, the significant complications and risks associated with the gynecomastia surgery are infrequent. Your specific risks and complications for male breast reduction surgery would be discussed during initial consultation.
Just like any other surgical procedure, there are some potential complications related to gynecomastia too including:
- Damage to the underlying structures
- Adverse reaction to anaesthesia
- Allergic reactions
- Bleeding and infection
- Nipple damage
- Changes in skin sensation
- Seroma or hematoma
- Unsatisfactory results that might trigger the need for additional procedures
Along with these risks, patients might experience blood clots in the lungs or legs. You can minimize the risks associated with the procedure by following the instructions given by the plastic surgeon.
How is the Gynecomastia surgery performed?
The main goal of this surgery is to correct deformities of nipple, areola or breast and restore a normal appearing male breast contour. Surgical options are excision; liposuction or the combination of both technique glandular breast tissues is much denser then fatty tissue and thus are not apt for liposuction.
- The choice of surgical method and approach depends on the possibility of skin redundancy after undergoing the surgery. Shrinkage of skin is grater in young men than older.
- The intra-areolar approach is the most commonly used method or Webster incision that extends along the circumference of the bottom half part of the areola in the pigmented area.
- The length of the incision made depends on the anatomy of a patient’s body.
- In severe cases of gynecomastia, skin resection that is surgically removing a part of a structure or organ has to be done. Also, moving the nipple might be necessary.
- Minimally invasive procedures have gained immense popularity in recent years. In the pull-through method, a very small sized incision is made at the edge of areolar. After liposuction, the glandular tissue from the overlying areola part is pulled through this incision. The main advantage of this type of incision is a smaller size of incision. This method is, however, used for selective patients.
- Ultrasonic liposuction has greatly improved the results of male breast reduction correction. In liposuction assisted gynecomastia surgery, there is relatively less compromise of blood supply, areola slough and nipple distortion. Also, there are fewer postoperative complications compared to open surgical resection. However, this method is not effective for correcting glandular type of gynecomastia.
What should I expect during my gynecomastia surgery recovery?
Immediately after the procedure:
- Patient can expect to be bandaged and wearing a compression garment. Also, you might have a surgical drain.
- It is important to know that first three days after the surgery are critical in recovery. You should take complete rest, however it is not necessary that you should be in bed. You can sit and watch television and have meals in living room.
- Movements of the elbow and waist are allowed; however make sure you avoid vigorous shoulder movements for the first few days. Usually, lateral movements of arms is allowed, however avoid lifting your arm vertically. There are different variables; your plastic surgeon would brief you about the same.
When the effect of anaesthesia wears off, you might feel pain and discomfort. In case you experience long-lasting and extreme pain, inform your physician. Also, there will be swelling and redness after the procedure. Consult the surgeon to know if your swelling, redness and pain are normal or a sign of some problem.
Precautions after gynecomastia recovery
As far as recovery time frame after gynecomastia is considered, it depends on how sever your condition is, and what approached was used for performing the surgery. Usually, the average patient is treated with a combination of breast gland tissue excision and liposuction. You can resume work after a week or as suggested by the surgeon.
It is important to adhere to the instructions given by your plastic surgeon. This detailed instruction would include information about caring for drains, type and level of activity that is safe, wearing compression garments and intake of antibiotics. In addition, the plastic surgeon will also provide instructions related to the normal symptoms that you would experience and potential signs of complications. It is, however, important to know that duration of recovery that a person takes after gynecomastia varies among individuals.
- In all possibilities your first follow-up after the procedure would be six to seven days after the surgery. During this visit, your sutures will be removed, and also your sutures if the discharge has disappeared or diminished.
- After examining you, plastic surgeon will suggest how long you have to wear compression garment.
- Also, he or she will brief you about the exercises you can do. In most cases, you can resume low impact exercises and activities at three to four weeks; you might also start gentle upper arm extremity progressive resistance exercises at four to six weeks.
- You will, perhaps, return to work within ten to fifteen days after procedure.
- To ensure optimal healing, avoid strenuous activities and exercises for first two to three weeks.
- Pain tolerance varies among individuals. For most patients, the pain is moderate at best. When extensive liposuction is performed, you might experience soreness that is equal to a day of exercise. You might be prescribed painkiller, however most patients do not require more than extra strength Tylenol.
- You might have to apply Neosporin or any other antibiotic ointments to the wound.
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight or tanning for nearly six weeks, until bruising as well as swelling subsides.
- Exposure to sun rays would prolong swelling and might cause permanent discolouration. Sun exposure in the early stages can lead to scars to become more evident.
- Bruising and swelling are normal after the procedure. Bruising can appear in different degrees ranging from minimal to massive. It could be confined to the breast region or expand to the abdomen and chest. Bruising can appear in colours such as purple, bright red, black, blue or a combination of colours. It would increase in intensity in the first few days and then slowly diminish and turn yellowish for another week or ten days. The discolouration will appear within three to four weeks.
- Just like other surgical procedures, you might notice a decrease in sensation in the region around the operated wound. This is more common in men with enlarged breasts that need significant liposuction. Most men experience temporary loss of sensation to be insignificant. It takes nearly a year for sensation to return.
- In most patients who have diminished elasticity, there might be skin creases or excess skin that is more evident after the surgery. Most of these creases would persist for eight to twelve months and then lessen significantly, and loose skin tightens.
- After gynecomastia surgery, there is a common phenomenon of spontaneous shrinking of the areola. The diameter will decrease to ten to fifty percent from the actual size. This usually happens when significant amounts of glandular tissues are removed.
- It is important for patients to remain patient and have realistic approach. It might take three or more than three months for swelling to abate for final results to be visible.
Cost of Gynecomastia Surgery
According to 2017 statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the average cost of gynecomastia surgery is $3,641. But the cost of the male breast reduction in Delhi, India is affordable when you choose us. There are factors like type of gynecomastia, method chosen to perform the surgery and experience of the surgeon that determine the overall cost of the treatment. We choose the best gynecomastia surgeon for you so that you can get the excellent results.
Expected results after gynecomastia surgery?
The results of gynecomastia surgery are outstanding. You will experience flat chest a few months after the procedure. The results, in most cases, are permanent giving you a firm, flat and more masculine-looking chest.